Wednesday 8 September 2010

Jack Frost

I've been busy at the bench tonight and tied a few of this variation of the Jack Frost.
When I first started out fly fishing about twenty years ago I used this pattern quite a lot. 
These days I don't use lures much and prefer to use traditional Scottish wets but sometimes there are occassions when a lure is required.
I am going to give this a soaking in the next day or two at Hillend. 
The original is a great perch fry lure. The perch fry are in great abundance at Hillend at the moment so I thought it would be a good idea to tie some of these up.
I believe this pattern might well be an improvement on the original as I have changed the body of the fly by using a pearly glister dubbing which adds translucency to the pattern. 
My dressing is a follows. Thread. Fire Orange uni 8/0 Hook. size 12 or 10  B175 o Kamasan Body. Pearly glister Tail. Chinese Red uni floss: brushed out Wing . White Marabou Hackle. fluorescent red cock hackle

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sharp & Gentles Way.

I've recently been attending the Sharp & Gentles Flytying Club and thoroughly enjoy my visits there. Im already benefitting and le...