Tuesday 12 March 2024

Heres' to better days ahead!

As the chill of winter fades and the days get longer and warmer, anglers everywhere are preparing for the start of the new trout fishing season. For me, this anticipation has been building for months, as I've been busy at the vice all winter and eagerly await he chance to wet my first line of the season.

Last week marked a significant milestone in my angling journey as I officially secured my membership with the Cobbinshaw Angling Association. After more than three decades as a member of the Airdrie and District Angling Club at Hillend, it was time for a change. The prospect of fishing at Cobbinshaw Reservoir in West Lothian fills me with excitement, and I can't wait to explore its waters from the comfort of a boat.

While the venue officially opened its doors on March 9th, my first outing won't be until the 18th so I couldn't resist attending the open day at GAC last weekend. It was a fantastic opportunity to mingle with fellow anglers and share in the collective excitement for the upcoming season.

One highlight of the day was chatting with the folks from Flyfishing and Flytying magazine and watching some impressive fly-tying demonstrations. Meeting Stephen Smalley, a talented Lancastrian fly-tyer with a passion for loch-style wets, was a particular treat. His skill and dedication were evident in the stunning fly boxes he had on display.

No trip to GAC is complete without a visit to the Cookshill fly-tying materials stall. Steve Cooper at Cookshill provided invaluable advice and helped me stock up with some of his impressive range of natural flytying materials 

With just three days left until the official opening day of the 2024 trout fishing season, excitement is reaching a fever pitch. I raise a glass to the promise of better days ahead on Cobbinshaw, the Clyde, and beyond. Here's to new adventures and unforgettable moments on the water.

Before I sign off, I'll leave you with a glimpse of the GAC open day, my new fishing venue, and some recent vicework. Get ready, fellow anglers – the season of trout fishing is almost upon us!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Harold's Grouse & Claret

Hope you enjoy this video I put together of the fly pattern "Harolds Grouse and Claret"  I came across this pattern in...