Skip to main content

Orchil Loch

Yesterday I visited a fishery for the first time in a while.I don't normally visit fisheries these days as they do have a bad press and usually attract the type of angler that makes me despair.
However this fishery isn't your usual hole in the grun type. Orchil is a very picturesque fishery just a few miles from Gleneagles and is well managed and cultivated.
Scott and I arrived early in the morning. It was bitterly cold and numbing on the hands. Regardless we set up and made our way round to the area we fancied fishing.
I was soon into the first fish of the day a 3lb rainbow fooled by a wee harelug nymph which had the unusual material of wild boar fibres for a tail. I was using my sink tip line at the time too. Soon after I got another solid take but sadly lost the fish during the ensuing fight.While all this was going Scott got his first fish then after a wee while he got another.
Then the moment I had been dreading happened. He arrived at the loch in full camouflage gear from head to toe with a khaki balaclava on. It was actually surprising I actually saw him as he fairly blended in with the trees etc. On his shoulder was the biggest tackle bag you have ever seen in your life. He asked how we were getting on and what flies had been successful. He then said at this time of year he likes to fish further on up the bank and across the burn. I didn't bother asking him why he opted to fish next to me. I then got the usual stories of all the fisheries he has been to recently and how he caught huge trout on his top of the range reels and rods and so it went on with tales of his secret killer patterns. I decided to move on elsewhere in the fishery as this chap was starting to get on my nerves as he described the takes he was getting and then when he actually caught a fish was holding it up in the air to show me. Did he think I didn't know what a fish looked like. Perhaps he was just over enthusiastic and maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy. Nah Ive met these types before.
My change of location and a switch to a floating line eventually paid dividends as I managed to net my second trout of the day. At mid day Scott and I decided to pack up as it was still cold and the rain was starting to get heavier.
Delighted with our catch we went to the weigh in shed. I had 5lb of fish while Scott had 4 1/2 lb.
After a quick wash and a change of clothes we set off for Auchterarder where we finished off a great  day out fishing by treating ourselves to a couple of delicious but rather messy steak bridies from the bakers shop washed down with a bottle of juice.


Popular posts from this blog

The Clan Chief

I have been at the tying bench tonight tying up a few Clan Chiefs. This fly is a favourite of mine. It is a modern day traditional fly created by an Orcadian man,John Kennedy. it was originally designed by him for migratory fish. It also has a good reputation on the mainland for brown trout. Its creator was clearly inspired by the Kingsmill - Moore bumble patterns. This version I have tied tonight is a little bit over dressed as it was originally intended to be tied sparsely. I will let the trout decide.

Hillend Loch

Hillend Loch is a 350-acre loch lying halfway between Airdrie and Armadale. It was constructed in 1799 to supplement the Forth and Clyde canal system. The average depth of the loch is 8 feet, but the depth does drop to around 14 feet in the narrows between the Whitehill wood and the Braco wood. Feeding is rich in the loch and apart from the shoals of fry which abound here the underwater fodder includes snails, shrimps, nymphs of varying species, corixae and caddis. Above the surface the angling season will see hatches of hawthorn flies, chironomids, buzzers, daddies and sedges. There is plenty of space to fish around the loch no matter whether your preference is to wade and explore the little bays and weed beds along the shoreline or take a boat and float along some of the favoured drifts. The loch fishes well all over its expanse though I would recommend the bank angling at the following areas, The big moss, the wee moss, the braco burn area, the boathouse bay, the point of the woods,

Loch Ericht

After visiting wintery Hillend today it reminded me of a fishing trip to Loch Ericht early last year. Here is an account of the trip I wrote once I had thawed out. My first serious fishing trip of the season got underway at 4am last Sunday morning. Our destination was to be the north end of Loch Ericht near Dalwhinnie. We wanted to be there for first light so hence the very early rise and journey up the A9. The trip up was uneventful until we got to the roadworks at Balinluig as by the time we reached there the countryside had taken on a rather winery feel as the hills and fields had a light dusting of snow. Onward we drove but as we got further north the weather was really starting to get serious. The snow was falling and it was lying really deep, the road ahead just got treacherous and at times very dangerous. By the time we reached the Drummochter pass we were right in the middle of a blizzard. It got to the stage where we couldn’t see four feet in front of us and it was becoming