Wednesday 28 October 2020

A Hat-trick at Tassie

My winter flyfishing odyssey around the local basheries continued today when my fishing buddy Iain and I made the short trip to Drumtassie, situated between Blackridge and Slamannan. 

My weather app was telling me to expect rain all day accompanied by strong winds. So we went fully prepared to battle the elrments. However much to our surprise it stayed dry all day but the wind was cold and strong as expected and had me chittering as it battered in between my shoulder blades. Iain was first into a fish on his 2nd or 3rd cast caught on a cormorant with red holo body and black marabou wing with a short tail of three strands of red holo tinsel. It was my turn a short time later with my first to the net on the same fly. I had tied these patterns last weekend with the intention of using them on our next outing so it was very pleasing to know they were successful. I was soon into another this time the fish took the cormorant on my dropper a wee size 12 with a black body ribbed with blue-ish holo tinsel and the usual black marbou wing. It was only the back of nine and was I already thiking of calling it quits as I was so cold with the wind battering into my back. However Iain and I had a wee break and Iain produced a very welcome cup of Bovril which was exactly what I needed to warm me up. Soon after we were back to it and I competed a very pleasing Hat-trick of rainbows Again this trout was fooled by my wee size 12 cormorant. I had that pattern on my dropper all day and occasionally changed my point fly. Just after midday we called it a day. Normally I'm reluctant to stop fishing but I was pleased to be heading home for a big plate of broth as I dont think I could of carried on much longer as I was really feeling the effects of the wind and the cold. Not only did I catch a hat-trick of trout I think I might also have caught the flu!








No comments:

Post a Comment

The Clan Chief

Ive been asked by a flytying club in Shropshire England to do a flytying  demonstration via the social media platrorm of zoom nex...