Tuesday 15 December 2020

The Kinship of the Vice!

 As I've often said and many others have stated, trying to devise something new and original in flytying is a very difficult task indeed.

However every now and again something will fire a flytyer's imagination and get him reaching for his vice!

Recently I've been researching  fly patterns and the history behind them.

Whilst looking through my bookcase of flytying books and fly boxes  a few names that sparked my imagination were the Soldier Palmer, Clan Chief, The Brigadeer,  Zulus in all their guises, The Bloody Butcher, The Watten Warrior, The Jacobite, The Culloden,.The Marauder, The Pretender, The Heillan Man, Harray Horror, The Cutthroat, Imposters, Extractors and many more.

For me these flies conjure up images of famous and infamous battles and Clan Warfare! Therefore as I sat at my vice wondering what to tie next I was inspired to tie some Highland Clan related trout patterns and came up with idea of tying some flies in the colours of Scottish family Clan tartans

The possibilities are endless however there are some difficulties as quite a number of tartans incorporate the same colours!

Nonetheless there are enough tartans and Clans to keep me busy through the winter.

Here are two examples! The Clan McLaren and the Clan McLeod.

Possibly best fished in tbe Balqhuidder area and Western Isles respectively! 








No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cobbie

My latest flytying video. Hope you like it!  The Cobbie