Saturday 6 February 2021

Books & Flies.

One of the benefits of Lockdown restrictions if such a thing can be said is that I've spent more time at the vice than ever before!
It's no exaggeration to say that I've been tying flies every day and as a result I've filled quite a few fly boxes.
I also believe that my flytying has improved considerably!
Due to having plenty time on my hands these days,  I've also been delving into my sizeable collection of Angling literature and refreshing my mind with the influential sage advice and over looked fly patterns to tie and try contained within my books!
In my last blog I focused on a fly pattern from the Excellent "Fisher in the West" by Eddie Young. It really has some great patterns in it which are well worth tying.
Today I received another excellent new addition for my bookshelf.
Emyrs Evan's " Plu Stiniog."
This regional book is a wealth of Information and a great source of inspiration on which to base further work at the vice.
It's a book Ive been meaning get hold of for a few years now after reading an article  about it in a flyfishing magazine!
Although this book deals with fly fishing and
flytying in North Wales
It has to be said that I've no great desire at all to fish among the Hills of Wales. Theres far too many places here in Scotland I've yet to visit and fish.
However I do enjoy reading about the social history contained in books like this as well as learning of the tradition and history of regional fly patterns!
Im really looking forward reading this book and picking out a few more patterns from it to tie and add to my box.
With the new trout fishing season soon to be upon us It'll be interesting to see how these patterns fair here in the Lochs and Hill Lochs of Scotland and elsewhere for that matter!
The first pattern I chose is a simple one.
The Petrisen Corff Coch (Partridge & Red)
According to the author this is a great pattern for the summer months of June and July and should be fished on the top dropper!
Until I make that first cast of the season in March I'm looking forward to reading this book in more depth and tying more flies from it.
I will also be on the lookout for more regional flytying books to add to my shelf.
I'd be grateful of any recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Clan Chief

Ive been asked by a flytying club in Shropshire England to do a flytying  demonstration via the social media platrorm of zoom nex...