Tuesday 6 July 2010

Bathymetrical Survey of Scotland


I thought I would bring to your attention a fantastic resource for anglers wishing to fish the Lochs of Scotland. Some of you may have noticed a link to the Bathymterical survey of Scottish freshwaters on my side bar. It's a fantastic resource with detailed zoomable maps giving a grid of the depths of the lochs. Whenever I am going to a Loch I've never been to I always do a bit of research before hand, much to the amusement of my two fishing friends who have given me a nickname that I will not be disclosing on here. I'm sure that Tam and Scott find my facts and figures etc helpful and interesting. It's always helpful to know what depth of water you are fishing over. Of course not every single Loch is covered in the survey but many popular venues are. It was pleasing to note that the Lochs of Caithness that I will be visiting over the next few days are listed.The above notes are an example of the information available.Next time you are going fishing have a look at this interesting survey hosted by the National Library of Scotland. I'm sure you'll find it very informative indeed.
Below is a direct link to the site.

Bathymetrical Survey of the Fresh-Water Lochs of Scotland, 1897-1909 - Maps - National Library of Scotland

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heres' to better days ahead!

As the chill of winter fades and the days get longer and warmer, anglers everywhere are preparing for the start of the new trout fishing sea...