Monday 25 January 2010

Burns Day


This being the 25th day of the first month of the new year I'm sure you will be aware that this is the day that people from all walks of life the world over celebrate Burns. I felt it would be appropriate to mark the occasion on my Blog with some verse from Rabbie. Try as I might I could not find any poems in his collection with reference to trout or fishing. Maybe I didn’t research deep enough. There are tenuous links to fishing though if you think hard enough as he did pen some beautiful words about rivers and streams such as Bonnie Doon, Brigs o Ayr , Sweet Afton, Banks of Nith and The Banks of the Devon. The Tweed gets a mention in Such a parcel of rogues and a line from My heart is in the Highlands as follows…. Farewell to the forests and wild hanging woods, farewell to the torrents and loud- pouring floods. See, they had climate change in those days too.
So by way of consolation I would like you to join me in a toast to Burns. Yes the Burns of Hillend Loch. Raise yer glass in praise of The Lily, The Daisy, The School The Shields, The Bracco and the North Calder. Over the last two hundred years they have been the spawning grounds for the trout that have given so much pleasure to so many people who have fished Hillend Loch

1 comment:

  1. Hear, hear!

    Beautiful piece, Allan. I am enjoying the literary bent of you blog. We'll have to talk books sometime.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

The Clan Chief

Ive been asked by a flytying club in Shropshire England to do a flytying  demonstration via the social media platrorm of zoom nex...