Saturday, 22 January 2011

Hillend Fire!






I hope the title of this post didn't have you thinking that we had a forest fire up here at Hillend Loch. It's far too cold for that to happen anyway. Hillend Fire is the name I have given my latest fly. I set out to tie some more muddlers but I wasn't happy with the results so instead of throwing the fly away in my rubbish bucket I decided to trim away the deer hair head altogether and tied in a black hen hackle at the front instead. I was actually quite pleased with the look. The blend of colours reminded me of fire! I think you will agree that it looks like striking if you will pardon the pun. I suppose this was an accidental fly . Thats what I like about fly tying, as sometimes I sit down at the vice and the flies I produce are not what I first intended to tie. I will just have to wait to see if the colour combination will be successful. I have posted two pics of the fly from different angles to show the tying from underneath and the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment