Skip to main content

River Tweed Stravaig

I didn't realize that when I arranged to go to the River Tweed to meet up with some members of the Wild Fishing Forum on their latest Stravaig to Innerleithen that it was Friday the 13th. I set off about 8.30 am and soon Airdrie, Newmains, Carluke, etc were behind me but the road ahead to Peebles was closed just beyond Carnwath I though a divesrsion route would have been sign posted but wasn't so after making a detour I made my way to Biggar then picked up the new road again to Peebles and Innerleithen. I arrived at the Campsite at Innetheithen later than planned and I was purchasing my permit to fish the Tweed at reception, Bob a fellow Hillender and WFF member was checking in with his caravan.

After having a chat and a coffee, Bob took me to the River which was just yards from the site and pointed out some spots on the River to try. I was soon wadered up etc and casting my spiders across the tweed in the hope of trout. I had a few wee takes which I imagined to be parr for an hour or so when I spotted two anglers coming towards me it was Fred the founder of the WFF and his friend Joe a fellow forumite. After a wee chat they headed further up river. I continued on fishing down towards the bridge and eventually caught a couple of tiddlers which turned out to be smlot and salmon parr I also hooked into a fish which might have been a brown as it put more of a bend in the rod than the previous smolt and parr. I then took a break and met another couple of formites John and Alex back at Bob's caravan. The weather took a turn for the worse but we decided to get out and onto the river regardless. Alex very kindly gave me some instruction on River fishing which I have took on board and will be putting into practice on future river fishing outings. We all went our separate ways on the river and met up later back at the Caravan where I learned that Alex had caught a nice couple of 1/2 pound trout and lost a couple of larger ones . Fred had a couple of trout and Joe had a 3/4 brown trout too. Bob very kindly fed us and I then had to say my goodbyes as I had work in the morning . I wished I could have stayed and got to know the lads better as they seem a good bunch. As they were staying there until Sunday and fishing various waters in the area there are bound to be more fish and stories told. In the end Friday the 13th wasn't too bad apart from the road to Peebles being closed. I hope to meet up again with the lads for a proper Stravaig when I will be able to stay overnight.


Popular posts from this blog

The Clan Chief

I have been at the tying bench tonight tying up a few Clan Chiefs. This fly is a favourite of mine. It is a modern day traditional fly created by an Orcadian man,John Kennedy. it was originally designed by him for migratory fish. It also has a good reputation on the mainland for brown trout. Its creator was clearly inspired by the Kingsmill - Moore bumble patterns. This version I have tied tonight is a little bit over dressed as it was originally intended to be tied sparsely. I will let the trout decide.

Hillend Loch

Hillend Loch is a 350-acre loch lying halfway between Airdrie and Armadale. It was constructed in 1799 to supplement the Forth and Clyde canal system. The average depth of the loch is 8 feet, but the depth does drop to around 14 feet in the narrows between the Whitehill wood and the Braco wood. Feeding is rich in the loch and apart from the shoals of fry which abound here the underwater fodder includes snails, shrimps, nymphs of varying species, corixae and caddis. Above the surface the angling season will see hatches of hawthorn flies, chironomids, buzzers, daddies and sedges. There is plenty of space to fish around the loch no matter whether your preference is to wade and explore the little bays and weed beds along the shoreline or take a boat and float along some of the favoured drifts. The loch fishes well all over its expanse though I would recommend the bank angling at the following areas, The big moss, the wee moss, the braco burn area, the boathouse bay, the point of the woods,

Loch Ericht

After visiting wintery Hillend today it reminded me of a fishing trip to Loch Ericht early last year. Here is an account of the trip I wrote once I had thawed out. My first serious fishing trip of the season got underway at 4am last Sunday morning. Our destination was to be the north end of Loch Ericht near Dalwhinnie. We wanted to be there for first light so hence the very early rise and journey up the A9. The trip up was uneventful until we got to the roadworks at Balinluig as by the time we reached there the countryside had taken on a rather winery feel as the hills and fields had a light dusting of snow. Onward we drove but as we got further north the weather was really starting to get serious. The snow was falling and it was lying really deep, the road ahead just got treacherous and at times very dangerous. By the time we reached the Drummochter pass we were right in the middle of a blizzard. It got to the stage where we couldn’t see four feet in front of us and it was becoming