Sunday 22 May 2011

Wild is the Hillend Wind!





For the last couple of weeks my flyfishing has been somewhat curtailed because of the strong winds we have been experiencing. I have went up to the loch a few times this last fortnight but on arriving at the Club house decided against fishing because it has been wild on every occasion. Instead I just hung around the Clubhouse and had a blether.Last night I arranged with Tam to go up the Lily Loch but as it was blowing a gale and tipping it down we decided not to bother venturing over the hill to the Lily as it would have been even worse up there. Instead we went to the Hillend Lodge for a gab and a coffee. We then decided that no matter what the weather was doing on Sunday we were definitely going fishing at Hillend.

Today we went to the Big Moss at the west end of the Loch and once again that wind was was causing havoc. Fly rod and fly boxes were taken along as well as a spinning rod and a box of tobys etc but the fly rod never came out the rod tube. Many years ago before I took up flyfishing I used to do a lot of spinning at Hillend and beyond which I enjoyed very much. On arrival at the moss I set up with a zebra toby and within a quarter of an hour I landed the first fish of the day a rainbow of about 2 3/4lb. A little later Tam was into his fish too then to round things off a couple of hours later I landed another to complete my brace of Hillend trout. We were up there for a right good few hours today but if I had been on my own I wouldn't have lasted an hour. That wind was still blowing when we called it a day and the forecast for tomorrow is for even stronger winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sharp & Gentles Way.

I've recently been attending the Sharp & Gentles Flytying Club and thoroughly enjoy my visits there. Im already benefitting and le...