Sunday 21 April 2013

Pesky Hillend Pike


 
On a few recent outings at the loch I have encountered a few of the truly wild Hillend fish. I'm talking of Hillend Pike of course. The latest capture was this afternoon when I returned once again to the north shore. I briefly hooked into a trout but he managed to shake off my fly but an hour or so later a bloody pesky pike took a fancy to one of my newly tied Dancers which in the ensuing ferocious fight ruined my fly completely as it tried desperately to avoid the inevitable photo shoot!
I wouldn't like to estimate the weight of this fish as I 'm not really familiar with these predators. I know its a tiddler in comparison to some of the pike in Hillend but if someone would like to to give me an estimate I would be thankful

3 comments:

  1. I'd have a guess at about 4lb. Funny how you hate these fish - i only come to Hillend for the pike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't hate these fish. I referred to them in this article as pesky because I wasnt intentionally fishing for pike.I prefer to fish for trout. The pike at Hillend are the truely wild fish in our loch and I treat them with respect.

    Do you fly fish for the pike?


    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - hate was the obviously the wrong word! Glad to hear you give them respect - i've met some with the opposite attitude. I haven't tried flyfishing for them; I fish for them with baitcasting kit using all sorts of lures. Best fish so far has been 15lb. Excellent blogs btw - keep 'em coming

    ReplyDelete

Heres' to better days ahead!

As the chill of winter fades and the days get longer and warmer, anglers everywhere are preparing for the start of the new trout fishing sea...