Sunday 16 November 2014

The Dark Mackerel


After picking up my copy of FF&FT this week I found within its pages an interesting article on an old traditional wet fly pattern called the Dark mackerel.
Its was first devised by a tackle dealer from Edinburgh called John Dickson and was said to be a great pattern for sea trout as well as brown trout in peat stained lochs. Through the years there have been many variations of this old timer. It became popular on Loch Leven too but is more synonymous with the sea trout of the North West Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
Hope you like my take on this old traditional pattern. Its a fly that will no doubt find its way on to my leader when I visit the Uists next year. 

1 comment:

  1. Bengt Ekegärd Sweden bengt_@mac.com10 April 2018 at 22:28

    Hi Allan,
    I read the same article as you did and realized I had a 11" rod made by John Dickson & Son bought in their shop in Edinburgh 1984.
    The article inspired me to tye som Dark mackerel an fish it with his rod in my sea trout river Dalälven at Älvkarleby nearby Gävle in Sweden.
    It was really thrilling to catch the first one on the Dickson rod with a Dickson fly!
    Mail me if you want too se some pics!

    Best regards
    Bengt

    ReplyDelete

The Sharp & Gentles Way.

I've recently been attending the Sharp & Gentles Flytying Club and thoroughly enjoy my visits there. Im already benefitting and le...