Wednesday 10 November 2021

Hen Blackie

Ive always been fond of the rich history of Clyde Style flyfishing and flytying.
The unpretentious and simplistic tying of Clydestyle fly patterns really appeals to me in the same way that North Country Spiders and its traditions do too. 
Recently I've been enjoying tying Clydestyle flies and preparing a box for the Upper Clyde next season.
One of my favourites for the Clyde and I'm sure many others is the Hen Blackie.
It's such a simple and pleasing pattern to tie. 
This pattern has not only caught me trout on the Clyde but also at the nearby Camps Reservoir and Glen Franka Reservoir as well as highland lochans such as Loch Ba! 
Whilst looking through my flytying library I came across a variation of the hen Blackie in Stan Headley's excellent book: Trout & Salmon Flies of Scotland, wherein a pattern named the Claret Hen Blackie was referenced. I'd never heard of this pattern before and found it interesting to note that its recommended as an evening fly from June until the end of the season. Tied exactly the same way as the Hen Blackie, only difference is in replacing the yellow silk with claret silk. I look forward to using both  patterns when next on the Clyde.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cobbie

My latest flytying video. Hope you like it!  The Cobbie