Tuesday 19 March 2024

Fair Thee Well My Friend!

It was with great sadness that I learned of the passing of longtime fishing friend Davie Graham who I oftened referred to on my blog  as the Hillend Veteran.

Davie left this earth for another place on the 15th of March, ironically the date of the start of the fishing season at Hillend.

Only last week Davie commented that he was sorry to hear that I had given up my membership at Hillend and said that i’d be missed. 

I told him I'd pop into the clubhouse to see him for a coffee and have a catch up with him now and again during the course of the fishing season.

Its such a shame we’ll never have that coffee.

Davie was a valuable, committed member of Airdrie & District Angling Club, He often manned the clubhouse and cafe, was a member of committee and the minute secretary. 

He knew the loch like the back of his hand and was a wealth of information on every aspect of flyfishing at Hillend. He often complimented me on my fly dressing which he was a dab hand at himself too.

We shared a boat on Hillend many a time. He was a fantastic fly caster and always happy to share his knowledge of the fly life at Hillend.

Davie was originally from Dalmellington in East Ayrshire and would ofter regale me with his stories and experiences of fishing the local lochs in that area  as well as his many fishing expetiences all over Scotland.

He had a family caravan based  at Bettyhill  in Sutherland and loved  his time there fishing with family and friends especially on the River Naver.

It was Davie who encouraged me to try the salmon fishing up there and gave me all the advice I required which I was pleased to see come to fruition when I caught my first ever salmon on the Naver a number of years ago.

In his later days Davie was given honorary membership of Airdrie and District Angling Club and I know he was looking forward to the season ahead. Its so sad he never got to see it.

Fair thee well my friend, Fair thee well! You will be sorely missed!





 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dirty Weeker

Hope you enjoy my latest flytying video of a pattern of Caithness origins. The Dirty Weeker