Skip to main content

A Hat-trick at Tassie

My winter flyfishing odyssey around the local basheries continued today when my fishing buddy Iain and I made the short trip to Drumtassie, situated between Blackridge and Slamannan. 

My weather app was telling me to expect rain all day accompanied by strong winds. So we went fully prepared to battle the elrments. However much to our surprise it stayed dry all day but the wind was cold and strong as expected and had me chittering as it battered in between my shoulder blades. Iain was first into a fish on his 2nd or 3rd cast caught on a cormorant with red holo body and black marabou wing with a short tail of three strands of red holo tinsel. It was my turn a short time later with my first to the net on the same fly. I had tied these patterns last weekend with the intention of using them on our next outing so it was very pleasing to know they were successful. I was soon into another this time the fish took the cormorant on my dropper a wee size 12 with a black body ribbed with blue-ish holo tinsel and the usual black marbou wing. It was only the back of nine and was I already thiking of calling it quits as I was so cold with the wind battering into my back. However Iain and I had a wee break and Iain produced a very welcome cup of Bovril which was exactly what I needed to warm me up. Soon after we were back to it and I competed a very pleasing Hat-trick of rainbows Again this trout was fooled by my wee size 12 cormorant. I had that pattern on my dropper all day and occasionally changed my point fly. Just after midday we called it a day. Normally I'm reluctant to stop fishing but I was pleased to be heading home for a big plate of broth as I dont think I could of carried on much longer as I was really feeling the effects of the wind and the cold. Not only did I catch a hat-trick of trout I think I might also have caught the flu!


Popular posts from this blog

The Clan Chief

I have been at the tying bench tonight tying up a few Clan Chiefs. This fly is a favourite of mine. It is a modern day traditional fly created by an Orcadian man,John Kennedy. it was originally designed by him for migratory fish. It also has a good reputation on the mainland for brown trout. Its creator was clearly inspired by the Kingsmill - Moore bumble patterns. This version I have tied tonight is a little bit over dressed as it was originally intended to be tied sparsely. I will let the trout decide.

Hillend Loch

Hillend Loch is a 350-acre loch lying halfway between Airdrie and Armadale. It was constructed in 1799 to supplement the Forth and Clyde canal system. The average depth of the loch is 8 feet, but the depth does drop to around 14 feet in the narrows between the Whitehill wood and the Braco wood. Feeding is rich in the loch and apart from the shoals of fry which abound here the underwater fodder includes snails, shrimps, nymphs of varying species, corixae and caddis. Above the surface the angling season will see hatches of hawthorn flies, chironomids, buzzers, daddies and sedges. There is plenty of space to fish around the loch no matter whether your preference is to wade and explore the little bays and weed beds along the shoreline or take a boat and float along some of the favoured drifts. The loch fishes well all over its expanse though I would recommend the bank angling at the following areas, The big moss, the wee moss, the braco burn area, the boathouse bay, the point of the woods,

Loch Ericht

After visiting wintery Hillend today it reminded me of a fishing trip to Loch Ericht early last year. Here is an account of the trip I wrote once I had thawed out. My first serious fishing trip of the season got underway at 4am last Sunday morning. Our destination was to be the north end of Loch Ericht near Dalwhinnie. We wanted to be there for first light so hence the very early rise and journey up the A9. The trip up was uneventful until we got to the roadworks at Balinluig as by the time we reached there the countryside had taken on a rather winery feel as the hills and fields had a light dusting of snow. Onward we drove but as we got further north the weather was really starting to get serious. The snow was falling and it was lying really deep, the road ahead just got treacherous and at times very dangerous. By the time we reached the Drummochter pass we were right in the middle of a blizzard. It got to the stage where we couldn’t see four feet in front of us and it was becoming