Monday 2 November 2020

Octopus Style

I really enjoy tying Irish style fly patterns.
Generally they look overdressed and are very colourful.
One such style I enjoy tying is the Octopus style patterns  however although they may be thought of as Irish it was actually Scottish fly Fisher and flytyer Stan Headley who first devised these style of flies.
Stan came up with this style in a pattern called the Melvin Octupus to represent hatching mayfly on Lough Melvin.
As is always the case in flytying, numerous variations have since followed.
It's obvious I know, that variations such as these I have tied below and others will not be used in the same manner as the original Octopus was intended to do be used, however I believe these are just simply fantastic attractor patterns which will do well when pulled through a big wave regardless of where you fish on these Isles. Be it Loch Lake or Lough.

1 comment:

  1. Very bright n cheerful, I'd use dawn or dusk

    ReplyDelete

The Clan Chief

Ive been asked by a flytying club in Shropshire England to do a flytying  demonstration via the social media platrorm of zoom nex...