Saturday 8 January 2022

Tummel Style

I've never cast a fly on the river  Tummel in the pursuit of trout.
However I have past this major tributary of the River Tay many times over the years on my journeys up north to other Highland fishing locations and have often stopped close by its bankside usually in the big layby outside Pitlochry to eat my fish & chips on the way home.
I've cast an envious eye over the fast flowing Tummel many a time from a fast moving car on the A9 between Balinluig and Pitlochry and often wondered where access can be gained to the numerous inviting looking locations along this majestic river.
As I have already mentioned I've never fished the Tummel and hope to get around to scratching that itch one day.
As a keen flyfisher and flytyer I have a great interest in the history of the art of flytying especially regional fly patterns such as those associated with the North of England as well the Clyde and Tweed.
However as far as I'm aware the history of the great regional fly patterns of the Tummel are not so well known as their Lowland cousins of the Clyde and Tweed but are very similar in many ways.
Although these styles are alike,  the Tummel style is quite distinct. 
The patterns of the Tummel are rather noticable in terms of their scantiness and length of body. They are aparently dressed and designed that way to sink the fly faster.
If you can imagine such a thing they are even more sparse than the famous Clyde Style flies.
I am aware that there is a very old book available by Ewen M Tod called Wet Fly Fishing  which covers the flies of the Tummel and is one which I must add to my library. 
My knowledge of Tummel style is limited and was only gained by reading an odd article from the usual fishing magazines.
Recently my Interest was highlighted by the acquisition of some old flytyers Guild booklets wherin mention was made of Tod's Tummel flies in a very interesting article by David Westwood.
I was keen to have a go at tying these exceptional understated river patterns and decided that Tod's number 1 would be as good a place to start as any! 
It appears Tod was not very imaginitive in naming his patterns!
I'm rather pleased with the result and will endeavour to tie others in the next few days and weeks and maybe just maybe in a few months time take a drive up the A9 and for once cast a fly on this Perthshire river! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cobbie

My latest flytying video. Hope you like it!  The Cobbie