Thursday 30 December 2021

What Trout Want!

As you may or may not know the title of this post is the name of a book by well respected flyfisher and Flytyer Bob Wyatt.
It's a book that I got just before Christmas and one that I am so late to the party with! So much so that everyone has probably grown up and stopped going to parties.
First published in 2013 it's Wyatt's second book and a follow up to his earlier work Trout Hunting.
Bob is a native of Canada but now resides in Scotland via New Zealand. Bob has a wealth of fishing experience in all three Continents and has shared that experience in the contents of this book. 
In this book Wyatt strips away all the conventional and traditional practices of fishing for trout that people like myself and others apply to our pursuit of trout.
Wyatt takes a no - nonsense approach to Flyfishing and the myths that surround it.  He also simplifies his flytying approach too with flies that are functional, simplistic and attractive to his quarry not the fisherman.
This book will change your views on flyfishing and will challenge your methods, practices and designs in flytying!
To accompany this book there are a couple of dvds available which I have had in my possesion for a good few years which were given to me by old Johnny Weir the one time owner of the sadly missed local handy angling shop here in Airdrie. 
The dvds are every bit as good as the book and displays Wyatt's flytying style obviously in a way that the book cant. 
Pictured here is my take on Wyatt's Deer Hair Emerger.
His writing has certainly given me food for thought towards fishing  and flytying and I Iook forward to applying aspects of his philosophy and principles to my approach in the forthecoming season!








No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cobbie

My latest flytying video. Hope you like it!  The Cobbie