Sunday 25 February 2024

Regional Flytying

I have a great interest in the history and traditions of regional flytying and flyfishing. Therefore It was a great pleasure whilst at the recent BFFI 24 in Stafford to pick up a copy of JN Waton's very interesting book "The Forgotten flies of Roger Wooley" After reading this book it led me down a very interesting rabbit hole which has got me intrigued about rough water Devon style patterns. This in turn led me to a book from the 1800's about this regional style by HC Cutcliffe. However there is a more modern book available by Paul Gaskell telling the story of Cutcliffe and his flies. Included in this book is a collection of Cutcliffe fly patterns tied by Roger Wooley. It's a very important and authorative piece of flytying and flyfishing literary work. What I found most intriguing about these Devon flies is that although they have a fair bit in common with North Country Spiders the difference being is that although these are referenced as wet flies, they are tied with stiff cock hackles, which seems rather unusual. I must get a copy of this book. In the meantime please find below my interpretation of Cutcliffe's Exe- Fly which I presume is popular on Devon's River Exe. I'm really looking forward to finding out more about Cutcliffe's flies and getting my hands on Gaskell's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dirty Weeker

Hope you enjoy my latest flytying video of a pattern of Caithness origins. The Dirty Weeker