Tuesday 13 February 2024

A journey to the heart of fly-tying: BFFI 2024

My much-anticipated pilgrimage to the British Fly Fair International in Stafford entailed a 500-mile roundtrip from Airdrie and an overnight stay at my brother's place in Penrith on Saturday 10th February. My brother George and I embarked on the journey further south early the next morning, arriving at the Staffordshire showground by mid-morning. The fair was a spectacle to behold, with trade stands offering a tempting array of fly-tying materials, tackle, books and many other flyfishing and fly-tying related items. Unable to resist the allure, I indulged in some essential additions to my materials and book collection. After browsing among the fly-tying eye candy, it was a great delight to make my way to the famous fly-tyres row, where I reunited with friends and fellow fly-tyers from across Britain and Europe. Amidst the bustling atmosphere, conversations flowed freely, fuelled by a shared passion for the art of fly-tying. Throughout the day, I had the opportunity to witness various master tyers in action, each demonstration offering a valuable insight and inspiration, reaffirming my love for the craft of fly-tying. It was fantastic to meet up with fellow former Hillender, Iain Drummond on Fly-tyers row who assisted at my angling club fly-tying nights, where I first learned the art of fly-tying many years ago. It was also a great pleasure to meet Peter McCallum and see his wondeful display of Clyde Flies and also meet up with Ed Ford who I met at the Scottish Game Fair last year. Two excellent Scottish fly-tyers. I really enjoyed watching Welsh Fly-tyer Sean Thomas at the “Fly-tying in Focus” theatre. This was the first time that Sean’s work had come to my attention and I was impressed with his style of tying and passion for winged wets. I later met Sean on fly-tyers row and had a very interesting chat about the tying and fishing of Loch style wets etc. However, the main highlight for me was meeting Donald Stewart and his team from the Sharps & Gentles Fly-tying Club who promote and continue to uphold the traditions of the unique Clyde Style Flies and fishing. It was an added pleasure to witness first-hand the display of Bert Sharp’s Clyde flies which feature in his famous and very much sought after book “Lets Fish the Clyde.” As the day drew to a close, I left the BFFI with a sense of fulfilment and renewed inspiration for fly-tying. Although my all-round journey had been long, the memories forged and the connections made were worth every mile travelled. Reflecting on the experience, I couldn't help but feel grateful for events like the British Fly Fair International, which celebrate the artistry and history of fly-tying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dirty Weeker

Hope you enjoy my latest flytying video of a pattern of Caithness origins. The Dirty Weeker