Friday 24 May 2024

Reimagining the Loch Ordie

While reviewing my blog stats to see which posts have been popular in the last month, I noticed an article I published  about Loch Ordies from a few years ago, during the COVID lockdown. The post featured some variants I had tied.

I then realized that I couldnt recall  fishing these patterns as I had planned.

One variant that caught my eye was the leggy Half Ordie.

Although Im a big fan of standard Ordies I cant believe I never utilised this variant, as it has everything needed to fool trout. Reflecting on the variants I tied perhaps I might have gone a bit heavy with the head hackle.

Inspired by this blogpost, I tied a new version of the Half Ordie this morning before going fishing in the afternoon.

This example is a lot more sparse, which I believe will allow for plenty of movement in the water. I'm really pleased with the result and can see its potential. I'll be tying more of these over the next few days, anticipating success with this pattern when I visit Caithness next month.

Im pleased and enthused to report that this pattern placed on the top dropper of my cast and fished from the boat  caught me two trout this afternnoon at Cobbinshaw! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A visit to Hardy's of Alnwick

Over the years, my longing for a Hardy fly reel has been intensifying, and about a month or two ago, I finally satisfied that desire.  My ne...