Friday 25 December 2009

Recommended Reading



May I bring to your attention two excellent books for your reading pleasure.

I recently purchased Mike Harding's guide to North Country Flies at the British fly tying fair at Stoke. I was lucky enough to get Mike to sign a copy for me.
Mike Harding, broadcaster, comedian and experienced fly fisherman, has written a guide to tying one of the most well-loved and beguiling traditions of fly, the Northern country Spider.
These designs of fly, conceived around Bolton Abbey in the Yorkshire Dales, are renowned for being both simple to tie and excellent for catching fish. They are characterised by using brightly coloured silk threads and bird feathers.
Mike Harding examines 140 classic Spider flies and explains how to tie them using step by step photographs. He also describes the history of the North Country tradition.
This book is a must have for any lover of fishing and fly tying the spider style patterns. I know I have made good use of this book with my recently tied spiders which I intend to use more often this season.

The second book I can thoroughly recommend is Bruce Sandison's Rivers and Lochs of Scotland. This book provides a comprehensive coverage of all one needs to know to arrange fishing in any region of Scotland. This new and revised edition describes more than 5,000 freshwater fishing locations complete with access details, flies and tactics and where to obtain permission to fish.
A fantastic resource to use in conjunction with Ordnance survey maps to plan future fishing trips and holidays. I have already got plans made for the coming season using this quite brilliant book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Clan Chief

Ive been asked by a flytying club in Shropshire England to do a flytying  demonstration via the social media platrorm of zoom nex...