Friday 30 September 2022

My Bogey Fly

The Bibio is a fly pattern of great repute and many anglers will tell you of their success and reliability of this proven Brown Trout catcher.
At one time I'd go as far as to say that it was on my cast as often as my favourite fly The Kate McLaren such was my confidence in the Bibio.
Whilst I still regularly  use a Kate,  these last few years I've fell out of favour with the Bibio as it wasn't doing as well as it used to and as a result I pretty much stopped using it in favour of other flys.
It actually developed into my Bogey pattern such was my mind set when I failed with it.
Perhaps my recent failings with the Bibio are down to a number of things such as size, fishing depth, venues, time of year etc etc.
Whatever the reason my distrust in it remains.
However this morning as I looked out my flytying room  window I noted that this was proper flytying weather.
A howling gale and torrential rain is the perfect conditions for a flytyer to get to work.
So what to tie?
I recently bought a few packets of Spectra Dubbing which I've found to be very good indeed it has great sparkle and lustre properties and looks fantastic if appied correctly to add subtle translucency.
Therefore this morning when I was thinking about my Bogey Fly the Bibio and what I could do to this pattern to change my fortune, I decided I would tie a few Bibios using the spectra dubbing for the body. I really do like the look of this material especially after teasing out  the fibres with velcro.
It's unlikely that I'll get to use these Bibios this side of the year as the end of the season is now less than a week away.
However I look forward to resolving my Bogey Fly issues with the Spectra dubbed Bibio sometime in the future.
Do you have a Bogey fly? If so I'd be interested to know which fly and why!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cobbie

My latest flytying video. Hope you like it!  The Cobbie