Saturday 21 November 2020

A Gathering of Clan Chiefs

it would appear there is more than a good chance that I will be going to the Outer Hebrides in August next year, Covid permitting! For a week of flyfishing!

This has inspired me to start filling  a new Highlands and Islands box for that trip. So tonight I thought  I would start with a big favourite flee of mine The Clan Chief.

A pattern of South Uist origins according to the following information that was sent to me a while back.

Capt John Kennedy OBE (Military) was originally from Ayrshire and after his army service ran the South Uist Estates fisheries, including (at that time) The Lochboisdale hotel. The fly was first tied one evening after JK had met, under unusual circumstances, a local clan chief in the hotel. A good Uist cast for me on Lower Kildonan would be a Goats Toe on the point, a Clan Chief in the middle, and another of JK's flies - in my opinion his very best - a Brigadier on the bob, tied for Brigadeer Gregor MacGregor of Clan Gregor.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sharp & Gentles Way.

I've recently been attending the Sharp & Gentles Flytying Club and thoroughly enjoy my visits there. Im already benefitting and le...