Sunday 17 October 2021

Lets Prepare for the Clyde!

Having secured my UCAPA ticket for next season I've been focusing on patterns for the River Clyde! With inspiration coming from Bert Sharp's book and Davie McPhails excellent instructional videos!
I've also been delving into North Country fly literature and tying up North Country Spiders!
I really enjoy the rich history of the above flies and style of fishing upland rivers.
I last fished the Clyde regularly over ten years ago but didn't go often enough to really get to know the river and all its peculiarities. Its all very well being clued up in the tying and theories etc but I really need to get more experience of the river.
I visited the Clyde down by Abington and Crawford a few weeks ago and it really whetted my appetite. Its such a lovely area to fish. 
I recently read a quote from Arthur Ransom who rather accurately  Identified that  flytying during the dark winter months is indeed a good substitute to fishing itself. He says “It is the sort of licking of the lips that eases a thirsty man in a desert” I couldnt have put it better myself! 

1 comment:

The Sharp & Gentles Way.

I've recently been attending the Sharp & Gentles Flytying Club and thoroughly enjoy my visits there. Im already benefitting and le...