Skip to main content

Hillend is coming alive!

Driving up to Hillend last night I was feeling a bit down. I turned on the cd player and the opening riffs of pretty vacant blasted out. Sometimes you need the Sex Pistols in your life.The drive along the A89 by the south shore to the Hillend Lodge in the sunshine was all the better for it. Once parked up the Lodge I slipped on my waders and made my way along the cycle path on the south shore to the area between the concrete jetties. A light east breeze gave a nice ripple on the water as I cast my silver invicta and a Kate McLaren with yellow goose biot cheeks into the loch. Nothing happened for the first twenty minutes or so I took a break and just sat on the bank enjoying the sunshine. There was plenty flies on the water most notably the green drakes and alder flies along with various others. There were quite a few fish starting to show now so I decided to start fishing again.Over the course of the session I managed to lose one fish catch and release another had numerous follows to the fly which was quite exciting to watch as the fish swirled at my flies and saw a plethora of fish rising for most of the night. Although I only caught the one fish this was one of the most enjoyable nights Ive had at Hillend this season so far. It really makes a difference casting at rising fish and knowing that there are plenty of fish around as apposed to just fishing blindly and casting and retrieving monotonously. I reluctantly stopped fishing about half past ten and walked back to the the now deserted Hillend Lodge. As I drove home Elvis Costello was Pumping it up! I was very happy now.


  1. Pistols, Costello and a fat rainbow in between. I'd sign up for that any given day.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Clan Chief

I have been at the tying bench tonight tying up a few Clan Chiefs. This fly is a favourite of mine. It is a modern day traditional fly created by an Orcadian man,John Kennedy. it was originally designed by him for migratory fish. It also has a good reputation on the mainland for brown trout. Its creator was clearly inspired by the Kingsmill - Moore bumble patterns. This version I have tied tonight is a little bit over dressed as it was originally intended to be tied sparsely. I will let the trout decide.

Hillend Loch

Hillend Loch is a 350-acre loch lying halfway between Airdrie and Armadale. It was constructed in 1799 to supplement the Forth and Clyde canal system. The average depth of the loch is 8 feet, but the depth does drop to around 14 feet in the narrows between the Whitehill wood and the Braco wood. Feeding is rich in the loch and apart from the shoals of fry which abound here the underwater fodder includes snails, shrimps, nymphs of varying species, corixae and caddis. Above the surface the angling season will see hatches of hawthorn flies, chironomids, buzzers, daddies and sedges. There is plenty of space to fish around the loch no matter whether your preference is to wade and explore the little bays and weed beds along the shoreline or take a boat and float along some of the favoured drifts. The loch fishes well all over its expanse though I would recommend the bank angling at the following areas, The big moss, the wee moss, the braco burn area, the boathouse bay, the point of the woods,

Loch Ericht

After visiting wintery Hillend today it reminded me of a fishing trip to Loch Ericht early last year. Here is an account of the trip I wrote once I had thawed out. My first serious fishing trip of the season got underway at 4am last Sunday morning. Our destination was to be the north end of Loch Ericht near Dalwhinnie. We wanted to be there for first light so hence the very early rise and journey up the A9. The trip up was uneventful until we got to the roadworks at Balinluig as by the time we reached there the countryside had taken on a rather winery feel as the hills and fields had a light dusting of snow. Onward we drove but as we got further north the weather was really starting to get serious. The snow was falling and it was lying really deep, the road ahead just got treacherous and at times very dangerous. By the time we reached the Drummochter pass we were right in the middle of a blizzard. It got to the stage where we couldn’t see four feet in front of us and it was becoming