Skip to main content

Lucky at the Lily Loch

Decided to go up to the Lily Loch tonight with my friend Tam. We met at the car park opposite the Owl & Trout at about 6 o'clock then walked along the right of way over the hill to the loch. We decided to go up to the west end of the loch. It was a good choice as I caught my first trout of the night in this location. There was the odd fish showing now and again , then when I saw a fish rise close to the weed beds I cast over it. The fish turned at my fly then a few seconds later it came back and I was into my first fish of the evening. It was very rewarding to see that it had taken a half hog hopper that I had tied this afternoon.
We then decided to move round to Scunner's Point. Once again there were fish rising intermittently. We fished on as an aeroplane made an appearance over the Loch it flew right round the loch a couple of times then just when we thought it had gone for good it came flying in over the Loch right over Drumfin Hill and along the south shore I thought it was going to land in the field it was that low then it swooped up to gain height and it was gone. Unfortunately I was wading at the time and had no time to get my camera to capture these dramatic events.
We fished on and Tam was soon into a fish, a rainbow of about 2 1/2 pound caught on a Loch Ordie. Just as he was playing it out I hooked into my second trout of the night which fell for the Clan Chief variant that I tied yesterday after watching Davie McPhail demonstrating one on his on-line channel.
Soon after, the Loch went flat calm just like a sheet of glass. We then called a halt to the fishing and walked round the Loch and back over the hill to the car park.
I had a very thoroughly enjoyable evening fishing in the very good company of my friend Tam. I will have to get him to fish my Loch......Hillend, next time we are out.


  1. Sounds like a great evening and the photos reinforce my thoughts. Nice looking rainbow.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Clan Chief

I have been at the tying bench tonight tying up a few Clan Chiefs. This fly is a favourite of mine. It is a modern day traditional fly created by an Orcadian man,John Kennedy. it was originally designed by him for migratory fish. It also has a good reputation on the mainland for brown trout. Its creator was clearly inspired by the Kingsmill - Moore bumble patterns. This version I have tied tonight is a little bit over dressed as it was originally intended to be tied sparsely. I will let the trout decide.

Hillend Loch

Hillend Loch is a 350-acre loch lying halfway between Airdrie and Armadale. It was constructed in 1799 to supplement the Forth and Clyde canal system. The average depth of the loch is 8 feet, but the depth does drop to around 14 feet in the narrows between the Whitehill wood and the Braco wood. Feeding is rich in the loch and apart from the shoals of fry which abound here the underwater fodder includes snails, shrimps, nymphs of varying species, corixae and caddis. Above the surface the angling season will see hatches of hawthorn flies, chironomids, buzzers, daddies and sedges. There is plenty of space to fish around the loch no matter whether your preference is to wade and explore the little bays and weed beds along the shoreline or take a boat and float along some of the favoured drifts. The loch fishes well all over its expanse though I would recommend the bank angling at the following areas, The big moss, the wee moss, the braco burn area, the boathouse bay, the point of the woods,

Loch Ericht

After visiting wintery Hillend today it reminded me of a fishing trip to Loch Ericht early last year. Here is an account of the trip I wrote once I had thawed out. My first serious fishing trip of the season got underway at 4am last Sunday morning. Our destination was to be the north end of Loch Ericht near Dalwhinnie. We wanted to be there for first light so hence the very early rise and journey up the A9. The trip up was uneventful until we got to the roadworks at Balinluig as by the time we reached there the countryside had taken on a rather winery feel as the hills and fields had a light dusting of snow. Onward we drove but as we got further north the weather was really starting to get serious. The snow was falling and it was lying really deep, the road ahead just got treacherous and at times very dangerous. By the time we reached the Drummochter pass we were right in the middle of a blizzard. It got to the stage where we couldn’t see four feet in front of us and it was becoming